Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Motivation in 1 Peter 1

As a disciple, Peter had a mix of motives.  He did stuff truly to please Jesus,  but he found his faith and motives wavering.  He walked on water toward Christ,  but the fear of the waves overtook his faith.  He proclaimed Christ was the Messiah but disowned him later.  He also cut off a soldier's ear.
Yet after the ressurection, he knew beyond a doubt that Christ was Lord, Saviour,  and Victor.  So his motives for enduring trials and being holy were Christ. He encourages his people to have Christ as their motives as well. 
That's how I am also.  As I learn more and more of who Christ is, my motives become more Christ centered.  Are they perfect?  No. But the pattern is there and that is a sign of growth and a growing relationship with my Creator and Savior. May He always remind me more of who He is! Amen :)

No comments: