Friday, April 26, 2013

INTERNSHIP!

Hi blogsphere! 

I've been so busy with my internship that I've forgotten to write about it! 

Wait.... internship!?!?!

YES! I GOT AN INTERNSHIP! 

I'm a paralegal intern at Metro Volunteer Lawyers and it's going well! I do a lot of filing papers with the courts and that entails making copies for clients' folders and making sure all the required documents are in the packet. Then I mail it off. We don't use E-file. I don't know why, but we don't. 

I also have  had a few opportunities to help clients with paperwork. This is easier than straight interviewing for my Aspie brain because our focus is the paperwork. However, I find making small talk while still focusing on the task at hand helps the clients. 

Last week, I helped a volunteer attorney prepare her client for court. It sounds more dramatic than it really was. I took notes as they talked and wrote a little outline for the client to reference when she testified. I also looked up a few statutes in a book. Yup. I rocked it old-school since we didn't have access to the Westlaw database. Anyway, the attorney let me sit with her and the client when we went into the court room. The attorney questioned the client in front of the judge, and I was glad I was the paralegal intern and not the one on the stand. Nice to know that I don't want to go to law-school :) The client thanked us profusely for our help, and that made me smile. Knowing that we helped her move forward in her divorce case made me realize that I like family law and I like working in the legal field to make a real difference in people's lives. 

No comments: