Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Power for the Creator's Name

Well, I've never tried to write in this font before, but here goes...

Today I went to the Chemistry building to give my former professor the John Morris lecture series. He wasn't interested but we had a really good talk. He had a comic posted on his door about a guy who visits his doctor and discovers he has a mutated viral infection. Basically, the guys' a creationist, so the doctor doesn't give him medicine because the doctor figures that the guy doesn't believe in the evolution of viruses. So right away, I explained that what the cartoon represented was microevolution and not macroevolution. We got into a modestly long discussion about Intellegent Design and Creationism. He thinks it's just a big cop - out and that ID and Creation researchers said that since things were too complex, they didn't need to be understood because they were designed. I told my prof that ID and Creationists still try to solve problems and not use the excuse, "It's designed" to solve any problem except where it is the most logical reason to do so. Well, I tried saying that anyway, but Prof kinda went on and on... I could tell I was pushing a button, so I didn't want to get him too flared up. But it got me thinking, and probably him thinking too.

The kicker is this: I tried going to his office yesterday. I didn't want to walk, so I just decided to call him. The phone rang once... twice... my stomach started to clench up... three times Will he answer? Oh no... ohno... what if I don't know what to say???..Four times... "Hi you have reached the office of...." Click. I hung up. So much fear from the past attempts to reach him had come up all at once. So I tried again today. I had prayed earlier in the day. I started out from Newsom praying. I asked for God's help, for God to just do it through me. Outside I was fine, but inside, I threatned to be a mess: legs shaking, unable to speak for fear of being sick... But God intervened. I walked in God's power and only in God's power. God is Creator and He will... I repeat, He will speak into my professor's office yes, even though me, probably one of his most timid students. Because when I am weak, God is strong.

1 comment:

Edwin Smith said...

Katie, your faith does not merely encourage me...it challenges me to step out and try something daring and near impossible. Do not let your brothers and sisters paddle around in weak faith when they could be walking on oceans of trust.