Friday, May 11, 2012

Moving is a Loss Event

I'M MOVING TO DENVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Right. I think I said that on this blog already, but yeah.
I had my last day of work today. GAAH! No more MOOLAH!!!! Well... that's not entirely true. I still have 2 paychecks pending :D But still....


More than the lack of moolah, it was hard to say goodbye to the friends I made there, especially my 'little bro' (see my post on that). We exchanged emails though. :) So that's good!


But that's another place in Fort Collins I have to say goodbye to.
Here's a list of places Katie will miss in Fort Collins:


1. Summitview's building (implied of course that I will miss my SUMMITVIEW PEEPS - will get to that later in this post).
2. Campus
3. Campus Transit Center
4. Downtown Transit Center
5. Old Town
5a. Starry Night Cafe
5b. Unique Thrift Store
5c. Old-Town Old C's.
5d. The little fountains right by the little art museum.
5e. The Cupboard
5f. The "plaza" area by Coopersmiths / Ben and Jerry's.
6. Whole Foods on Drake and College (because Lesley and I have had many girl dates there).
7. Council Tree Library and shopping area
8. Rolland Moore Park
9. Inspiration Playground
9a. "Shout to Creation" spot just west of Inspiration Playground (taking the dirt path up there).
10. THE QUAD
11. ARC and Once Again Thrift because a) my clients went to ARC a few times and b) Kristina and I have had adventures at both places.
12. Cinemark Movie Theatre (because I had many Abra dates there and other girl dates there).
13. Lamar's Doughnuts (yummy doughnuts!)
14. Cups (coffee shop)
15. Mugs (coffee shop)
16. King Soopers on Taft and Elizabeth - shopped there since - dang. 2009!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :O


I'm sure I'll think of more places, but that's a good start.


I'll miss these places because of the memories attached to them. When I walk around CSU or when I walk around Old Town, I have memories there. It's cliche, but those places really do become a part of me. I remember sharing in Old Town with The Rock and passing out hot chocolate. I also remember hanging out at Starry Night with girls from Summitview and I remember the Symbio Valentine's Day singles get-together at Coopersmiths among other things. And CSU has - well 6 years of memories there... Especially Newsom Hall! Oooooooooooh, Newsom Hall.... And Narnia - the gardens south of Newsom Hall where CSU will at some point build a STADIUM.... erm - but that's for another post :P


I'll miss my Summitview peeps and my Quad ladies and my CSU friends because - well - yeah. THEY'RE MY PEOPLE and I've gotten close to them and we've laughed and cried and stuff together, and well - it's hard to say goodbye to people I've gotten close to. That's why moving is a loss event. Because I won't be as physically close to my people as I am now.


It's nice to let myself cry, even though I feel sad. Why is it nice to feel sad? Because if I keep my sad emotions bottled up and don't release them and let my brain process why I am feeling the way I am, it just explodes. And if I feel sad in increments, I say goodbye little by little instead of all at once.


I also am planning on taking pictures of Fort Collins :) That way I'll have ait with me in tangible reminders in those pictures :) :)


Moving is a loss event, but it doesn't have to be crushing. I have ways to cope, and above all, I have God to go to when I am sad, and I know it is His will that I move to Denver, so that makes me feel better :)

No comments: