Friday, May 18, 2012

Singleness Beautiful in its Time

THE GIRLY SIDE OF LITTLE ME IS TAKING OVER THIS BLOG AGAIN!!!! BAAAHHAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA :) Just kidding ;) But no really, I'm glad I can write about more than just nerdy observations on here :) 


Anyway, I was reading Ecclesiasties again and chapter 3 has the "Everything in it's time" section. A few weeks ago, I realized that God makes EVERYTHING beautiful in His time - the pains in life and the joys in life. For me as a Christian single lady, He has made my college years beautiful (and undergrad was one big Small Group party) and is making my working years beautiful in their time. I also realized that He made my years of having complete guy-crushes and borderline fixations on guys beautiful in their time. No, I'm not saying that God was pleased that I made guys idols. Nope. That was definitely a bad mistake. But He has used that time when I really really really really really really wanted to get married (to whatever specific guy I liked) to teach me stuff. 


He taught me how to trust and wait on Him even when I wanted something reeeeallllly badly. When I was getting googly-eyed over a guy because of a specific attribute (good with kids, nice, always willing to be helpful, etc.), God would show me how He had that same attribute multiplied by infinity. That was really cool because I got to know God a whole lot better that way :) 


Last Sunday we sang the song "Our God will Come" and I suddenly had this realization: Us single ladies waiting for marriage is a PERFECT REFLECTION OF THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH AS A WHOLE WAITING FOR OUR NUCLEAR HOT EPIC GROOM NAMED JESUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) 
Yet another cool image off of Google Images :)



Um.... ok, for those of you that sorta giggled when you read "Nuclear hot epic groom named Jesus..." - well... Daniel and Revelation both talk about all that epicness and bright and shininess when Jesus comes riding in on a white horse so..... THAT'S BIBLICAL! :) 


Anyway, sometimes I've felt like I've done a TERRIBLE job at waiting. Because I'd go to women's conferences and get the sense that the proper way to wait is to be all prim and proper serenely putting together a hope chest and helping your mom or older ladies in the church bake cookies and then pray these sweet nice prayers to Jesus for a husband and write in a nice little flowery journal after reading something from Elizabeth Elliot during your two hour daily quiet times. Then Jesus gives the prim and proper little Christian lady her man and she's all happy and then goes on to speak at women's conferences. 


Real life for me is so not like that!! I'm like the girl who is on a date with Jesus like "Hey, I know we're supposed to be going steady because You purchased my life with Your blood, but OH MY - YOU - This guy on my D-Team.... .let me tell You.... he's SOO HOTT and sweet!! And - I know this is our time - but I just wanna gush to You about him, and because You're unconditionally loving, I know You won't mind hee hee hee!" and later when said brother doesn't reciprocate, I'm having a hissy fit and Jesus is like Hosea who welcomes Gomer back into their home after she does her 'business' and is like, "I still love you, my Gomer-poo, come here!" and she's like, "I'm soo - oo - sorry - I'll never - run - off - again - not - for like - two weeks?" Yeah, my waiting for the most part has NOT been the prim and proper kind. 


Then I realize that the Church doesn't necessarily wait in a quiet way. Romans 8 says that we groan for Jesus to come back. And we don't always stick to Jesus all the time. Paul's epistles are filled with: and confess your sin to others, and exhort one another, etc. Why? Because we have a habit of FAILING!!! But we all strive for one thing: To get closer to Christ as we wait in anticipation for Him to come back / for us to go to Heaven to be with Him :) 


Suddenly with all that realization, I realized that my own struggles in waiting for a husband sort of mirror the Church as a whole (all Christians united together) to wait for Jesus and how we struggle to satisfy ourselves without Him. So, God is making the easy times of being single and the hard times of being single beautiful in His time with this major lesson and of course many others :) :) :) 

No comments: