Friday, January 10, 2014

2013 Year in Review May - December

May 


I continued my internship with Metro Volunteer Lawyers. That was pretty cool because I became more comfortable with working with clients. May was also the month where I began my Estate Planning and Probate class: my last elective of my paralegal program. I sat next to a girl who worked at an estate planning law firm near Cherry Creek. We became friends and we would giggle together during class breaks and stuff. 

May was also the month my Boaz had his little guy full time for the summer. We began a routine where they would meet me at Park Meadows or Lincoln Station. The three of us would eat at the food court or at Boaz's house. While my sweet Boaz was cooking, I talked to little guy and we bonded over stuff like his superhero figures he carried around and the video games he liked to play. He was particularly good at a Spderman game. 

June - July

After my Probate and Estates class ended, I began looking for a paralegal job in earnest. I was looking before, but now I had some time between that last class and the upcoming fall class to really hit the ground running. 

I knew God would provide for me, but I began to feel the same worries of, "What if it turns out like the job search in 2009 where I can't find a job in my field of study?" Mom was supportive, but she was also worried about me. Her worry made me worry, but I couldn't show it. Luckily I could tell Boaz when we were in the car and his little guy was playing a game or watching a DVD in the back seat in his own world. The reassurances he gave me, the reminders that he was praying, his warm heart, and warm massive hands that wiped away my tears really helped me continue to trust God and persevere. 

In late July, I got a temporary job at Ross! I could get clothes and random household items for even CHEAPER! My job duties were split between being a cashier, helping in the fitting rooms, and straightening merchandise in the store. I was happy for the small paycheck, but obviously I was trusting God for more. 

August

Four weeks into working at Ross, I was perusing the paralegal job openings, and saw an opening for a legal assistant at an estate planning law firm on Craigslist. Deducing the firm's website address from the contact person's email address where I should direct my resume, I researched the firm to see if I would be a good fit. In doing so, I realized that my friend from my estate planning class worked there. We emailed back and forth with her personal email she had given me to exchange notes in class, and she encouraged me to apply. 

That is how I found myself taking an elevator up to the 16th floor of an office building in Glendale, Colorado to have an interview. The attorneys were very warm yet professional, and my friend was also present at the interview. A few days later, I was called back to take a typing and computer-based assessment at the office. As I was taking the bus back from that appointment to my job at Ross, I received a call from the firm. They offered me the job, and I accepted. 

That began the four-day whirlwind of telling my managers at Ross that I had accepted another position. As a seasonal employee, they knew my employment status could change at any time, and they wished me luck. While eating out with my grandma and my mother, I showed them the email string where I had accepted the law firm's job offer. Of course, after I told my Boaz, he congratulated me with a warm hug and warm kisses :D 

September - November 

September was a bittersweet month for my Boaz and I. Little guy headed back to Pennsyvania, and I found myself fighting back tears as I gave him a hug and wished him well for the fall. God had answered my prayer of growing my heart for him. Boaz and I both missed his sweet little eight year-old, but we knew that we would have more time together. He celebrated by taking me to Elitches :) 

Yes, he is an EPIC boyfriend :) I bought him the shirt heeee heeeeeee!
October was a blur because I was getting used to my new job, and saving up for moving out.  I quite enjoyed reminding my mom that I had about six months at home before I flew the coup. The fall also brought my last paralegal class EVER! Legal Research was my evening class that I took in addition to having my new job. The fall was a blur because I was balancing school and work. That balance gave me an appreciation for my classmates who completed their entire paralegal program while working full time. It also gave me an appreciation for my Boaz who is also going to school, working full time, squeezing in time to romance his girlfriend, and invest in the development of his son. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw! 

December 


I FLEW THE COUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Yup, I moved into an apartment right across the street from where I work! My commute shrank from an hour and a half bus ride to a 3 minute walk. 

I had an air mattress, some storage bins, some kitchen stuff, and enough for a deposit and a few month's rent, but I was freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!! 

Actually, it was a whirlwind for both my mom and I. I had been looking at places in the area and I had applied to this particular complex after seeing their model unit. My application was accepted sooner than I had expected, and suddenly Mom and I were looking at my unit where I would move if I signed the lease, and my Boaz drove around the complex one evening when he was on that side of town to make sure the lighting was adequate in the evening. 

My mom worried. A lot. I didn't have a full set of furniture to move in, but I was content to sit on my little stool in my small kitchen island to eat, cook in my wok and use my little plates and bowls until I could get more stuff. I just wanted to be free. Oh, and closer to work. 

Enter my Boaz! He brought light to my move. Literally. 


He took me to Target to get an air mattress and I got this lamp that he assembled. He also hung my shower curtain since he is tall and I am decidedly not. More importantly, he reassured my mom that I would be fine, God was providing a job, and I had made the decision to sign the lease after making a budget like we had learned in the Dave Ramsey class we took in..... sometime earlier. 

He encouraged me that I couldn't let Mom's worries dictate my major decisions, and he would support me as I made my way knowing I was a competent adult. Many tears were shed as he held me in his arms as I prepared to move out. 

Christmas was soon approaching and on December 23, he brought little guy over to see my new place. He also brought me my Christmas present since both of us would be with our respective families. 

If you read the previous posts, you already know what my early present was, but just for giggles.....


RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Heee heee! See the post on that :D 

Oh yes, and I also passed my last paralegal class ever, meaning my diploma should be coming soon to.... my new address!!!!! :D 

Yeah. 

2013 was epic! Not because I did anything special, but because GOD IS AWESOME! And the cool thing is, even if none of the awesome life events had taken place in my life this last year..... GOD WOULD STILL MANIFEST HIS AWESOMENESS! :D 


No comments: