Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Frustrated Worship

So last night I was playing the piano at the LSC Sunken Lounge. I was working out of a new piano book called "Modern Worship." I was working on the song God of Wonders (surprise, surprise) and Shout the the Lord. Both songs I'm really familiar with and love to sing, so I decided to learn them on the piano.

There wasn't anyone around since it was about 8:00. The room was kinda dim so it made seeing the music a bit hard. That's probably why I found myself making more mistakes than usual when trying to play these songs. Because of other stress, I get irritated slightly easier than usual, so I got frustrated faster. But I kept playing. After my hour of practice, I came out of the Sunken Lounge and saw the sun setting. The sky was really cloudy, so there was a TON of pink in the clouds. A thought popped into my mind which I attributed to the Holy Spirit: "I think this is what you were trying to say." I sat down on the ledge by the flagpoles in awe just watching the pink slowly fade from the sky. The sky was proclaiming that God was the God of Wonders and it was shouting to the Lord that He was worthy of our praise. That's what God meant when He said, "I think this is what you were trying to say." He knew what my heart was trying to say even if my music couldn't convey it yet.

As I thought about it further, if our lives are like worship (actually, they should be acts of worship) we still stumble. We still 'miss the notes' and fall in our daily walks. Kind of like David. He had some major mistakes during his walk with God. I have had some too. But we both pleaded for God's mercy and our hearts were once again right with Him. It's like playing a song, messing up a huge chunk of it, but then coming back for a strong finish. The meaning of the song is still there even though there are mistakes. The song is still felt and the audience (or your music instructor) still knows your heart was in it even through you forgot a few flats or sharps or missed that elusive key - change. In the same way, if we're walking with God and we fall, but we ask God to pick us up, He saw that we fell, but He sees that our heart is still in it and still knew what we were trying to say.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Katie what a cool analogy!! I know that one is going to stick with me for a long time...