Friday, April 20, 2012

A little brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At work I have a little brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll explain: There's this kid who's an aspiring computer science major who works at Corbett with me. We talk during lunch before our shifts, but today we worked at adjoining stations. I served sandwiches and he served gluten-free food :)

At some point we were talking about something or other and I mentioned that I was diagnosed on the autism spectrum as well. He had talked openly about being on the spectrum. It was like we suddenly became brother and sister - sorta - I don't know exactly what that feels like, but it's like we could relate on a whole new level. It's like someone saying, "You know, I grew up in France, and now I live here in England." and suddenly you're like, "OH MY GOSH, I GREW UP IN FRANCE TOO!!!" "Did you have to adjust to THIS... and THIS????" "UHHUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

So in between serving customers we totally nerded out about stuff like things Dr. Grandin says and stuff about our own lives. I still think of him first as a computer science major, and secondly as my brother on the spectrum. Just like I think of myself as pre-paralegal and then on the spectrum.

But it's nice to have that connection :) Just to know there's someone that I can actually talk to without feeling intimidated (read: someone else besides Dr. Grandin) who knows what I'm going through :)

I also want to keep in touch with him. Maybe tell him what college is like and advice on what I know now that I wish I knew my Freshman year. It would be kind of cool to be his mentor of sorts. :)

I also realized this: If God gave me a little brother on the spectrum, than He could give me a HUSBAND on the spectrum or a neurotypical husband who maybe not experience what being on the spectrum is like but is understanding of all of it to live with me hehehe!!! That thought also made me smile :)

No comments: