Sunday, April 22, 2012

Not so radical after all

At Summitview, Mitch showed this video  before the message as it was Missions Weekend. He talked about some initiatives Summitview was starting to continue supporting individuals we knew in other countries that were working to spread the Gospel. 


I've been thinking about this video for the whole day. Because right now I really want to get my career on. It's been long enough after graduating in 2009. Sure I've had jobs related to my major, but they didn't necessarily require a bachelor's degree much less a master's degree to do. 


What dictated my career so far has been a) my inability to drive since that disqualified me for a lot of jobs that I would have otherwise gotten easily. The other factor that influenced my career decision was my decision to stay in Fort Collins because God had led me to stay there after graduation to be a part of Summitview. 


I honestly feel like it's my turn to call the shots. I've put off a career long enough. Moving to Denver is also beneficial because I can be closer to my mom and be an example of Christ to her, my aunt, and my grandma. That is something I am also genuinely excited about. But I am also excited about FINALLY getting access to some decent jobs. I've been applying to some that sound promising. If I got a nice job along with a nice apartment on a bus-line, I wouldn't complain :) If I lived with a bunch of other single ladies from the Denver church (that was started by some Summitview people), that would be even better. I am excited to maybe do some volunteering with Alternatives Pregnancy Center or a like agency once I get to Denver and get a schedule figured out with paralegal school + a potential job. I'm also really looking forward to getting back into Children's Minstry :) 


But am I super-radical like David Platt's video calls me to be? Nope. I'll be the first to admit it. He would ask me, is using my degree in a nice career of ultimate importance in the grand eternal scheme of things?? Is having a nice high-rise apartment on a bus line the most important thing? Are all these things ultimately worth pursuing?  


The first answer I'd give him which is partially tongue in cheek would be, "Well you see, Dave, that would make my mom immensely happy to see that her daughter has made it." Yeah, I'd be satisfied knowing that Mom would be at peace knowing I had made it if I had a nice career and such. 


But of course, it's God's opinion that matters. He made Mom, myself, this world, and He is the sovereign ruler and redeemer over it all. Obviously, if He thinks it's important that I have these things, I should have them. But if He thinks I am better off and if His goals are more suited such that I do not get these things, I should agree with Him on that line. 


The trouble is, I don't. I, like many people, want to be respected for being successful, and I want to feel like I contributed well to society. Contributed well, to me on a merely earthly perspective means using my talents and skills in the workforce to their fullest extent to help society progress. 


This video we watched shook me today because I realized I can be in very real danger of loosing my eternal perspective on my career. Even if I worked at minimal wage jobs, but yet God used that to bring people to Himself through the Gospel, my life would have an eternal impact. Even if I got my career for a little bit and gave it up to raise children who know Christ and are confident of sharing Christ with others, my life would also have an eternal impact. Finally if, by God's grace, I get a nice career and stay in the workforce for a long time in the private sector or going back into academia, my resume won't eternally matter. What will matter is how many people I reached for Christ in these contexts. I pray and need to always pray for this perspective no matter where God directs my career path. Because the lives touched through that trajectory rather than my accomplishments and my monetary reward will ultimately matter. 


God, please help me believe that. Help those in my demographic believe that as well!!! Thank You for saving me from utter selfishness, because without You, that's all I would have to drive my aspirations. Thank You! I pray that the kids going on missions as teens this summer will gain this eternal perspective to allow them to reach others in college and as they start their adult lives! Amen :) 

No comments: