Monday, June 25, 2012

Hurting for a Little Person

Yesterday at church, I turned into a GIANT TEARDROP when I was talking to this girl Emily who's a nurse at University of Colorado Hospital. I asked her if the pediatric oncology program was comparable to the adult oncology in terms of their research. When she asked why I said, "Well because.... [insert me as a giant tear drop] this little girl at Summitview needs to go to Children's to be treated for cancer. [more of me being a giant tear drop]" Thankfully Emily said that the pediatric cancer program is very rigorous in their research and the whole oncology program is very good and works together well. That gave me hope for this little lady.  

Yeah. I read on my friend's blog post about it. That made me very very very VERY (did I say very) sad because I've been a Sunday school teacher for this little girl's older sisters, and my friends know the family very well. I've been to their house several times, and this little girl has been at my friends' weddings, bridal showers, and other events. I've had moments this week and last week when I would cry :( :( :( Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that something like this would happen to the family my friends and I (and all of Summitview) absolutely adores. 

:'''''''''''''''''( 

Yet what is super-encouraging about all this is how this little girl's mother is dealing with it. Even though her daughter has recently been diagnosed with cancer, 



She continually points to the sovereignty, goodness, and sustaining grace of their Creator Savior, and God. 



This is a gift. This little girl will see her mother's faith as they endure her sickness. I believe this little girl will pray with her mother when she is ill and her mother will remind her of the promises of her Savior through it all. 

This is an incredible gift at such a young age. For a little person to be made aware of the reality of who her God is during a health-crisis will continue to affect her development profoundly as she grows. 

Even though I'm a giant tear drop because I wish this little girl didn't have to endure a major medical crisis - cancer - and all that comes along with it, I realize how incredibly blessed she is to have a family that will love her and continually point her to Christ during this time. 

No comments: