Monday, June 04, 2012

A New Church Family!!!

Hi blogsphere! Greetings from Denver! (yeah, where else would I be??) 


Anyway, I was cleaning my room yesterday and so I wasn't able to post a blog. Oh - why was I cleaning my room? Because there is SO MUCH CRAP in my room from my childhood that Mom and I are finally getting rid of! In my family, pack-rat tendencies are definitely a modeled rather than genetic trait, because I realized just how much of a pack-rat I am/was. Yeah. 


I might write another blog on that sometime....


The highlight of my day yesterday was NOT cleaning out 4 trash-bags of stuff out of my little room, but it was GOING TO THE DENVER FIREHOUSE CHURCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay! It's in an old warehouse (I'll post pics sometime), and the front area is a nice little coffee-shop type place. The table was piled high with DOUGHNUTS for breakfast!!!!!! Before Katie got her doughnut on, she got her prayer on. Prayer was 9:45 - 10:45ish. I showed up around 10:30. I didn't know - well - I only recognized like 2 people in the room, but the fact we were all praying to the same God was cool :) The fact that even though I didn't know who some of the people were that we were praying for, but I could still agree in prayer was cool! :) And I realized that this is what unity feels like in the body of Christ :) I felt comfortable as a newbie praying with all the Firehouse people because Christ unites us :) :) :) :) 


Then I got my doughnut on!!! Mmmmmmmmmm! DOUGHNUTS!!!!!! That was fun! Talked to a girl Sarah whom I haven't talked to for a while :) Then met some college kids. 


Then worship!!! YAY! We sang songs that we sang at Summitview so that was fun! I met a lady and her son and that was fun because he was an infant and soooooo cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute!!!!!!!!!!! :) 


The sermon was cool! We wrapped up Mark 16! Rich threw down some apologetic awesomeness where he said, "Ok, the footnotes say SOME manuscripts don't include Mark 16:9-20, but those verses are validated elsewhere in the Bible, and just because some people use some of the verses wrongly doesn't invalidate the verses so TAKE THAT FOOT-NOTE WRITERS HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! " That was cool to know, and somewhat eye-opening that some Bible publishers would mess with readers' heads in the footnotes by writing stuff that would question the validity of Scripture. Yeah. 


Then we watched a video from The Seam - aka... West Virginia about the people who took the verse about picking up snakes and not being harmed quite quite literally and how picking up a snake and not dying does not a Christian make. That was weird, but I think it was cool how Rich said that Paul actually did this - not willingly, but he got bit on the island of Patmos but was fine, not to be like, "Hey guys! Check this out!" but "Ok - God - help me - I have to get to Rome at some point and - uh - yeah." and God healed him and other people got saved from seeing the miracle. 


Rich ended with talking about taking the Gospel to others around us, and that was a really nice reminder :) He talked about how we serve by spreading the Gospel, and the way we serve and meet people's physical needs can reflect the Gospel. This is a good reminder when I help Mom at home - not to do it grudgingly, but out of love for her and wanting to show Christ to her :D 


After church, I got a giant hug from another girl named Gretchen who used to go to Summitview and that made me smile :) :) :) :) :) 


I'm looking forward to going back to the Firehouse and being a part of their community :) :) 

2 comments:

2xA Ron said...

Glad to hear you're settling in well! Yay! Prayer and doughnuts!

Anonymous said...

Happy to hear that you are adjusting well :)