Monday, June 11, 2012

So far from home

Much of yesterday and today, I have been following the coverage of the High Park fire near Fort Collins. It is hard to be far away from my friends who are wondering if they have to evacuate their apartments or houses. It is hard to look at the news and say, "Hey, I know where that is!" when they show a picture near Horsetooth Reservoir. I wish I could give my friends hugs in person when we talk about our worries about the fire. 

Yet I am relieved. I am relieved that I no longer live in Fort Collins near Overland Trail because Mom would be worrying me half to death about the fire (let's be honest).  I am relieved because I know God is in control. The news attributes the fire to "mother nature" and the reporters write or say, "Hopefully nature will change the course of the fire." God is the Creator of fire. He is the Creator of the mountains. He is absolutely sovereign over this world even though it is broken. He is the provider of all the people of Larimer County. He is the comforter in the midst of loss and uncertainty. 

Because I know these things, I can feel sad that I am not with my friends yet feel confident that they can rest in a sovereign Creator through this whole situation. 

No comments: