Monday, August 06, 2012

Faith in an Evidence Based Society

I'm going through 2 Corinthians now. I'm on Chapter 11. Paul details his sufferings and trials of being a Christian. He has to reassert himself because the Corinthian church has said that he wasn't that great of an orator even though his writing is ah-MAZING. It sorta reminds me of me :) I enjoy writing, I do NOT enjoy public speaking. This is why I could never be a lawyer and stand in front of a judge trying to sound coherent :D I'll just be the paralegal holdiing up the sign on the legal pad saying, "YOU GO, COUNSEL!" j/k I wouldn't really do that, you know ;) 


Anyway, Paul has to reassert himself because the Corinthians are part of Greek culture that values eloquence and academic achievement. They want proof that he's legitimate. Paul had to straighten out some issues because other teachers had come in and taught them undoctrinal stuff even though they probably sounded super intelligent. Poor Paul. 


Paul's proof of his faith is this: I've been through persecution and trial after trial (wanna look up my legal file?) and other hardships for Christ and I still haven't given up. I have gone through all this stuff because Christ is legit. This is my proof. That Christ is worth all the suffering I went through, and I have praised Christ through all this. 


Offa NASA's website 
Our society also esteems scientific achievement (in the nerdy-geeky circles and academia). For instance, today, NASA landed a probe on Mars :) Like ancient Greece, we are an evidence-based society. As Christians, legitimate evidence of our faith can include how we suffer for Christ and how we trust in Him in spite of suffering. 

No comments: