Wednesday, January 30, 2013

How God used the music of Chris Tomlin then and now

On the last post I mentioned that Boaz and I have "Our CD" instead of merely "our song." (insert the Taylor Swift song stuck into certain readers' heads and commence evil laughter!) 

I giggled to myself realizing that our CD was a Chris Tomlin CD because Chris and I go waaaay back. Like to 2002! (Some readers won't think that's way far back because they were on Noah's ark - but I digress...) 

The songs Forever, Not to Us, Wonderful Maker, Famous One, Enough, Holy is the Lord, and Take My Life were the soundtrack to my first few years of being Christian. The Rock - erm - rocked out to these songs and God spoke foundational Truths of His eternity, His sufficiency, His salvation, His holiness, His awesomeness as Creator etc. through these songs. Some friends that remember me from way the heck back in the day know that I would eek out and geek out about these songs :D 

Other notable songs include: Indescribable, How Great is Our God, Uncreated One, Amazing Grace (My chains are free), Over Me (on 
See the Morning - special edition), and OUR GOD!!!! :D :D :D I really like more, but God really really really (times a lot) taught me about Himself and used these songs to remind me of who He is when I was having hard times. I turned into one giant (5 foot tall) tear-drop when I would listen to these songs sometimes, especially if I was just allowing God to pick through all the pain in my heart and heal it. Oh man. I would cry. A lot. But in a good way. 

So, in a way, Chris Tomlin is sort of God and my artist because I would listen to his stuff to connect with God when I was feeling sad or needed to be reminded of Truth. These songs and CDs would supplement the reading of God's Word :) I already had quite a few of "our songs" with God before He brought Boaz into my life, so I suppose it's only fitting that Boaz and I have a Chris Tomlin CD as 'our CD' so we can worship the God who has used this artist's music to teach us stuff individually and who has brought us together for His purposes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Sing praise!
Sing praise! 

Forever God is faithful
Forever God is strong
Forever God is with us
Forever! 


2 comments:

2xA Ron said...

Gah! Taylor Swift in my head! How did you do that?!

Glad you two have a sweet, spiritual connection, that God is at the center of your relationship. That's the only way to go: to be on an adventure together pursuing Him! :)

Katie said...

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!