Saturday, January 12, 2013

When hope drops the ball

Well, the Broncos lost today :(

 That was dissapointing to a lot of people because we were expected to win. It was especially dissapointing to Mom because she had some disspointment during her caregiving duties with my aunt and grandma earlier today.

For me, the Broncos loss was a bit dissapointing and my friend and I texted back and forth about it for a few minutes after the game. For Mom, she just had a bad day afterward.

More of her hope was in having a good caregiving experience in the morning and in the Broncos winning than anything else. So when those didn't work out, she was in a bad mood.

I could say that my hope wasn't in these things, so that didn't bother me as much. Yet, a lot of times my hope is in my mom's mood. When hope - like the Broncos today - drops the ball and makes Mom upset, it can make me upset because my hope can be in whether Mom has a good day. If she has a good day, I feel good because I did enough to make her happy. If she  has a bad day or if her attitude doesn't recover from events outside of her control, I feel bad like I haven't done enough to counterbalance whatever dissapointments she faces out there.

In small dissapointments such as the Broncos losing or in larger dissapointments, I  have to remember that my main hope should be in God and not in these temporary things: games, caregiving going well or badly, how Mom feels, and other things. Circumstances will always drop the ball, but God never will. 

1 comment:

2xA Ron said...

Wow! Makes me wonder about my own bad moods. What am I putting my hope in? What is it that's so important about having a fast internet connection that its sudden loss automatically ticks me off? Seriously, the God of the universe loves me and lives IN me day in and day out and I'm upset because I can't get Google to come up.

Excellent post. Very thought provoking!