Sunday, February 19, 2006

Bearing by prayer, the unequal yoke

Introduction


Today Mitch at Summitview gave a message on the foundations of marriage. Most of the stuff, I knew. Other stuff I didn't know such as how intense the spiritual battle over it was. That was interesting because I think Mitch is a Revalations guy where John is a Genisis guy. I would've had a Biology / ID lesson with John teaching it :) Anyway, at the end, all the married people had to write on index cards what stuff they had to work on, and us single (The Rock) people were supposed to pray for them. Stephen, Taylor, and I passed back the index cards from our row because we didn't need them. We told the couple behind us to pass them around. That little gesture was cool because we were helping them participate in Mitch's activity by giving them the cards because we didn't need them.

Anyway, we started praying and suddenly, it was laid on my heart to pray for any unequally yoked marriages at Summitview.


Background

No, I have never married or dated a non - believer. Physically. But there are some that I have dated in my mind's eye. When Abba Father said, 'Stop bringing these guys into My presence (Rom 12:1)' Yeah. So, that stopped. But when I had to mentally separate myself from the images and thoughts I had of these guys, the hurt was still there. However, God ended up being 'more than enough' for me :)


Back to the present time

I consider myself lucky. Very lucky. When God got on my case, instead of running away from Him and nursing my own 'soft spots' in my heart for people, I ran to Him in tears because I knew that I was doing something wrong and was sorry. I kicked and screamed and cried as He pried these thoughts and images of these people out of my heart and replaced them with Himself. (Open heart surgery if done by God really hurts. The Sword that pierces bone and marrow really hurts, but it heals nonetheless).

I cannot even begin to imagine the hurt that may be felt by brothers and sisters in Christ who are unequally yoked and who have given their whole heart - yes, even their whole selves to a non - believer. They either came to Christ after that union, or pursued that union against the wisdom and the pleadings of their Savior and Lord. Sure, I can try to imagine it, but to have that be my reality would be unbearable.

Yet, God used that when I prayed this morning. God took that pain and, using His spirit inside of me(Rom 8), interceeded for His children that are suffering within this yoke, interceeding for their comfort and asking for their love to be poured at Jesus' feet so their nonbelieving spouses could see Christ through them.

Oh, God, even now, even after I Googled several testimonies of unequally yoked people, I still could never imagine that I ever longed for it. Yet I can't even imagine that being my reality. So, I pray again for my brothers and sisters at Summitview who have this yoke as their reality. I pray you comfort them and maybe evne lead them to these sites or each other so they can recieve fellowship and not be alone. I pray that Mitch and John and Rob and everyone will welcome them in and not judge them for their yoke. God, I know You work all things out for the good, and for Your glory, and I pray that these people see that, and walk in that truth. Amen.

No comments: