Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Going SQUIRRELY!!!!!

YES, this is my second post of the day. I was coming out of Braiden after eating delicious grub with Tim and Mike from RSS and I noticed a squirrel who was begging for food. Actually two of them were chasing each other down the side walk (I know, they were sooo cute!) and one stopped like, "Hey! A college student that just got out of Braiden's dining hall! I'll stand up and beg for food - like this - and make those big eyes - like this and raise my paws to make her go 'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw.'" Then this guy came along and said, "Yeah, the squirrels are begging again." We talked about how they ate during the summer when there weren't as many students willing to give them a piece of a bagel, pizza, candy bar, etc. when they begged. I remarked that I thought the squirrels got a bit skinnier during the summer. He laughed and I went to class.

Today I was thinking about how the squirrels are starting to rely on us students to give them food. They were created to eat nuts and berries - foods that would give them amino acids and the correct vitamins that they needed. Instead they're living off of pizza crusts, Kit Kat bars, and Gibbs Bagels which are tasty to humans in regular amounts, but in garbage - bag fuls could have adverse affects. What if a whole new generation of squirrels born this spring (because in the spring is when all baby animals are born, right??) was taught by their parents how to beg for food from us college students? They would never learn to eat the berries and nuts they were designed to eat. A whole generation will have deviated from what it was designed to be.

Now, this stuff about the squirrels isn't just me talking about cute squirrels because they're cute - and - cute - but, it's about us and God. God designed us for Himself and to use the world to reflect Him and to desire things that would reflect Him and that He could satisfy. But we get up on our hind legs, bug out our eyes and hold out our hands to the world for stuff - for clothing, gadgets, relationships, fame, etc. I've been guilty of doing this too. But I and others have tasted the 'nuts and berries' the pleasures that only God could provide and have had our needs satisfied by God alone. We still pick the occasional 'crust' from this world off the ground to enjoy, but we know that it is not our primary satisfaction. Further more, I hope and pray that we as future parents or professionals or members of the larger Church family will teach the next generation how to find the berries and nuts - how to find the pleasures of God. Because God has taught us, we will teach them how He has designed them to live.

No comments: