Wednesday, February 08, 2006

The Price of Love

So, I was looking up the price of flowers to send for my mom and my grandma because I wanted to send them something. I was like, "HOLY CRAP!!!" because flowers are EXPENSIVE!! How do college boys ever buy for their girlfriends or friends by for their friends or... on Valentines day?

It made me ask the question, 'How much is the price of love?" Well, 29.99 - 259.99 / boquet apparently. But seriiously. How do I tell Mom and Grandma how much I love them? Valentines day serves as a reminder to let them know, of course, but I think it is more. It is living my life exemplifying what they have given me: For my mom, she gave me love and a future and supported me as I developed my talents (school, music, drawing, cross country) and forgave me when I found my not - so - talents such as counted cross stitch, games involving balls, and calculus. For Grandma, she taught me what a life lived for God is even if she does not know Him as her savior. She was my second mom (or fourth mom if you count my biological and foster moms.) We baked bread and cookies together and talked about life as we groomed her dogs or went on long drives.

Therefore, showing them how much I love them would be living out those things they taught me. For example, every time I bake I think of Mom and Grandma and us baking in the kitchen. Everytime I take care of kids, I think of Mom taking care of me.

I am memorizing Hebrews 13:15 "Through Christ therefore, let us offer to Him a sacrifice of praise - fruit of lips that praise His name." In the same way I wanted to give Mom and Grandma only tangible gifts, I think we can just give God tangible gifts like tithes or just being legalistic. But living out what God has done for us and living in relationship with Him is analogous to what I hope to do with my mom and Grandma - show Him that I love Him and displaying the work He has done through me by living it out in my daily life.

PS: I think I will make Mom and Grandma pictures of flowers and send them with a card :)

PSS: I think that though they would like the flowers, they would have wanted me to save my money for other stuff.

PSSS: I think we will all remember the hugs and kisses we gave each other each time we saw each other more than the little gifts we bought here and there.

2 comments:

Abra McGillivary said...

Thank you Katie! I can't explain what this means to me, God speaks through you, praise him for that!

Abra McGillivary said...

I thought of you today when I was thinking of what to do for my mom's birthday, tomorrow! flowers are not part of a college student's budget.